Maldon Road, Danbury, Essex CM3
A simple 1960s place of worship, with recent additions.
Until 1961 Danbury was served by the Diocesan Travelling Mission, with Mass said at various locations around the village. In 1954 Miss Mary Brown (the first female cashier at the Bank of England) bought a property in Maldon Road and donated part of the garden to the Diocese. A church seating 156 people opened on 10 December 1961. The tabernacle, seating, communion rails, Stations of the Cross and other requisites were donated over the ensuing months, and on 4 October 1962 the church was officially opened by Bishop Wall. In November 1963 Danbury was erected as a parish. However, since 1985 it has been served from South Woodham Ferrers. In 1999-2003 the church was repaired and upgraded, with new windows, entrance porch and improved disabled access.
As originally built in 1961 the church appears to have been a simple single-storey structure with brick-faced west wall, rendered side walls and a pitched roof with a small timber fleche. To this has been added in more recent years a large northwest entrance porch with its own lower pitched roof and a partly-glazed front. The original west end has been re-windowed with domestic-type small-paned windows. The side walls have also been re-windowed with double glazed units and another small addition containing a meeting room is currently (2012) being built at the northeast corner. Internally the church is a simple space with a timber west gallery, plain plastered walls and a small sanctuary with modern fittings.
Original Date: 1961
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed