Wainwright Avenue, Reddish, Stockport SK5
A functional design, built to serve an area of post-war housing.
The local area was largely open land between Reddish and Denton until the expansion of the two settlements in the nineteenth century, augmented by post-war housing estates. The church was built in 1955 when a parish was formed from the parishes of St Joseph Reddish and St Mary Denton. The building is one of several economical post-war designs for small church-halls by Reynolds & Scott. The building was extended to provide social facilities and disabled access in about 2003.
All orientations given are liturgical. The church is built of pale brown brick. It is rectangular in plan with lower porches and sacristies. Windows are generally round-headed lancets grouped in twos and threes and there is a slightly projecting windowless apse at the east end, where a cross is picked out in contrasting brick. Below this, the foundation stone is set into the wall. The extension, built in lighter brick, adjoins the west end. Inside, the single-span space is simply treated, with a recess with canopy and Crucifix at the east end and a retractable screen dividing off the social area at the west end. Seating is provided by modern chairs.
Architect: Reynolds & Scott
Original Date: 1955
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed