Burton Road, Derby DE1
A functional design of the 1980s with a fairly striking interior.
A school-cum-chapel was built on the site in 1876, from designs by Mr Sheffield (Diocesan Directory, 1921, 47). In 1891 St Joseph’s was made a separate mission, and a purpose-built church was erected from designs by James Hart in 1896-7. This was in turn replaced by the present building in 1984, from designs by D. J. Montague.
The building is clad in brown brick and is attached to the presbytery. A glazed pinnacle above the east end is the only architectural motif of note outside. The interior however is a dramatic space with the light flooding in from above and focussing on the altar. The ceilings are clad in hardwood, the bench seating arranged in an arc, the general ambience reminiscent of progressive churches of the 1960s and 70s. There is a large chapel on the north side with a stained glass window dated 1987. Narrow narthex with shop and lavatory; confessionals and link to the presbytery, south side.
Architect: Montague Associates
Original Date: 1984
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed