Chickenley Lane, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
The church has some architectural interest as a characteristic building of the mid-1950s by a well-known local architect.
The church was built in 1955-6 for Rev. M. Moynihan on a new site, from designs by Jack Langtry-Langton. It is built of yellow stock brick with concrete detailing; the covering of the shallow-pitched roof is now felt but was perhaps originally copper. The plan is rectangular with small flat-roofed transeptal projections at the west end and larger projections at the liturgical east end. The site slopes from south to north, allowing the formation of a basement parish hall under the main church space at the eastern end. The liturgical west elevation has a large triple window. The southwestern projection houses the entrance porch, the northwestern projection is the baptistery. The side walls both have six tall rectangular windows set close under the eaves, with concrete panels below. The southeastern projection houses a stair, expressed externally by long windows. The northwestern projection contains the Lady Chapel. Interior not inspected.
Architect: J. H. Langtry-Langton
Original Date: 1955
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed