Doddinghurst Road, Doddinghurst, Essex CM15
A functional multi-purpose hall with a screened-off sanctuary.
A Mass centre existed in Doddinghurst between 1951 and 1959 and was served from Ongar. The present building opened on 19 April 1970. Initially served from Brentwood (1970-78), it is now again served from Ongar. Outside service times, the sanctuary is screened off and the hall is used for a pre-school and other events.
The church is facing southwest. This description uses the conventional, liturgical orientation. The church is a prefabricated timber and steel building. Projecting from the south side is a Fletton brick boiler house. On either side of the entrance lobby are toilets, a store room, a kitchen and a children’s room. The seven-bay hall has statues of Our Lady (in memory of Alice Fitzpatrick) and St Margaret of Scotland on corbels in the easternmost corners. On the south wall is a Risen Christ crucifix. In the southwest corner stand an organ and a piano. The sanctuary has a timber altar and lectern, and a gabled tabernacle with crucifix on a brick pedestal. On either side are the sacristy and a store room. The east window has a security grille. The hall floor is of woodblock, the raised sanctuary is carpeted.
Architect: Not Applicable
Original Date: 1970
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed