A very modest and cheaply built church of the inter-war period.
The church was built in 1923 to serve the ‘thriving and virile Catholic population’ (Northern Catholic Calendar, 1936) of this poor mining district.
The church is a simple rectangular structure with walls of brick, faced with render and a pitched roof covered with artificial slate. Attached to the main church building is a flat roofed porch/vestibule across the west front and a flat-roofed sacristy at the east end of the north side. The side walls have rectangular opening with upvc windows. The interior is a single undivided space with a glazed lobby at the west end. The walls are plastered, the windows clear-glazed. The original timber open roof structure was ceiled with boarding some twenty years ago (information from Fr O’Gorman).
Architect: Not known
Original Date: 1923
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed