Field End Road, Eastcote, Pinner, Middlesex HA5
A functional building of the 1970s embodying the principles of Vatican II and providing a welcoming worship space.
The parish was founded in 1935 and a church/hall opened in 1937. The presbytery was designed in 1963 by H.C. Harding. In 1975 plans were drawn up for a purpose-built church linked to the existing hall which was then converted into a parish centre. The architects chosen were Burles, Newton & Partners of London, Southend and Manchester, one of the most active firms working for the Catholic Church at that time. The church was designed to accommodate 200 to 250 people in a fan-shaped space aiming to create maximum participation. Overflow space was also provided, linked to the former church.
The church was added on to the previous church-cum-hall of the 1930s on the right-hand side. It is built of beige-coloured brick. Externally it is a very angular, functional building, typical of its time. There is little architectural emphasis other than the monopitch roof feature over the sanctuary, the vertical element of which is glazed and floods the altar with light. Further lighting is provided by clerestory lights over the congregational space.
Internally the church is focused upon the sanctuary with seats angled towards it (on a slightly raked floor). The walls are of bare brick with a deep concrete band between the lower and upper parts.
There are no fittings or furnishings requiring special notice.
Architect: John Newton of Burles, Newton & Partners
Original Date: 1976
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed