Worsley Road, Winton, Eccles, Manchester M30
A lightweight prefabricated building of the 1950s, so designed on account of fear of mining subsidence. The building is well-lit and in remarkably good condition for its date and type, but not of special architectural or historic interest.
Winton is a suburb northeast of Eccles which originated as a small settlement and gradually became incorporated into the spreading suburbs of nearby areas. This part of Salford is in the West Lancashire coalfield, and there was extensive mining locally during the nineteenth century. The area was part of the Holy Cross parish, and a growing population gave rise to the need for a church close to the local population. Designs for a church proposed in 1955 were revisited after surveys revealed danger of subsidence caused by mining. A design for a lightweight prefabricated structure with reinforced concrete foundations was substituted by the architects Arthur Farebrother & Partners. A detached presbytery of conventional design stands beside the church, now in use by a religious community. During the late twentieth century more changes came with the development of the motorway system. Winton is close to the interchange for the M60, M602 and M62. The church has been well-cared for over the years, and in the early twenty-first century disabled access was introduced, with a ramp leading up to a new door on the northwest side of the building.
All orientations given are liturgical. The church is a flat-roofed structure faced in stained and varnished vertical hardwood boarding. There is a statue of Christ above the west entrance. A ramp for disabled access leads to a door in the south side. The interior is simply appointed and well-lit with the concrete frame exposed. A retractable screen added some time after the erection of the building is positioned towards the west end, allowing the area to be screened off for social purposes. There is a forward altar introduced at unknown date, and an attractive altar, canopy and reredos with carved Crucifix at the east end. At the rear of the church area there is a hall with social facilities, kitchen, toilet, etc.
Architect: Arthur Farebrother & Partners
Original Date: 1956
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed