The Green, Eccleston, Chorley PR7
A church of modest architectural ambitions, notable above all for its old-fashioned design (the medievalising tower dates from the time of the Second Vatican Council).
Eccleston is an ancient settlement but this part of the village grew up in association with nineteenth and twentieth century industry, which swelled the population. Seating about 150, the church was built in 1922-3 at a cost of about £2,000, on land given by J. M. Dewhurst JP of Heskin Hall. The architect was Alfred Gilbertson of Liverpool (The Tablet, 1 April 1922 and 8 July 1922). It was extended in 1958 and again with a tower in 1963 (architect J. W. Tate).
The church consists of a nave of 1922-3 executed in uncoursed squared masonry with very simple lancet windows. A shallow apse of brick and other minor additions date from 1958. The tower (1963) is built of yellow masonry, offset on the southwest end of the building. It is of traditional design with lancet windows, stepped buttresses and a crenellated parapet. The interior is executed in very traditional manner with an open timber roof. A baptistery beneath the tower is lined to dado height with plain mosaic. Furnishings include a modern altar and ambo of finely finished red stone. There is a set of stained glass by Hardman, probably 1920s.
Entry amended by AHP 9.1.2021
Architect: A. Gilbertson; J. W. Tate
Original Date: 1922
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed