Bungalow Road, Edlington, Doncaster, D12
One of the newest churches in the diocese, of fairly traditional character, fit for purpose and with a light, welcoming interior.
Edlington, on the southwest side of Doncaster, is one of several communities in the area that expanded with the opening of collieries in the early twentieth century. This attracted an influx of Catholic workers and their families, who were first served by a Mass centre in 1923. In 1925 a chapel-of-ease was built, served from St Peter-in-Chains. The parish was erected in 1933.
In the 1990s, land behind the church was sold for housing development, enabling the parish to fund the building of a larger new church on the present site, next to the school. This was built in 1998-9 from designs by John Hill Associates of Doncaster. The cost was £550,000 exclusive of VAT. The old church was sold to a Greek Orthodox congregation.
The church was built in 1998-9 from designs by John Hill Associates, and forms part of a complex which include a parish hall with caretaker’s flat over and parish facilities. The building is faced in brown brick and is roofed in slate, with lighter slates forming a chevron pattern towards the ridge. A bellcote with short fibreglass fleche is placed on the ridge. The nave has plain windows, with triangular dormers to the roof. The sanctuary is expressed by a lower roof and set-back walls with a polygonal apse; the east window is lozenge-shaped.
The main entrance leads into a spacious narthex with glazed doors and side windows. The main space of the church is light and airy, the nave square on plan and of four bays, lit by side windows and high-level dormers. The walls and sloping ceiling are plastered, and the floor is laid with carpet tiles. The seating is arranged in a radial pattern. The sanctuary is set within a triangular-headed recess and has stone fittings on a platform laid with carpet; it is lit by stained glass in the east window. At the northwest corner is a large circular immersion font with mosaic tiling, lit by etched glass windows by David Pilkington. Statues of the Sacred Heart and Our Lady were brought from the previous church. The church is served from Sacred Heart, Balby (qv).
The church stands within grounds enclosed with steel security fencing, with well-maintained lawns and flower beds, and a car park. Next door is the 1970s St Mary’s primary school. Surrounding housing is mainly twentieth century semi-detached coal board housing; the area has suffered from high deprivation and unemployment since the closure of the collieries.
Architect: John Hill Associates
Original Date: 1999
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed