St Bridget’s Lane, Egremont, CA22 2BD
A substantial post-war design in early Christian basilican style.
Egremont is part of the Benedictine mission in West Cumberland. The first chapel was built in 1868, primarily to meet the needs of Irish immigrants. In 1903 plans were drawn up by F. A. Walters for a church in transitional Gothic style but this proposal was not advanced and instead another temporary church was built in 1907. The foundation stone for the present building (designed by N. M. Phillips of Workington) was laid in July 1959, and was opened in November 1960 with pontifical High Mass celebrated by Christopher Butler, Abbot of Downside. Downside was the mother church for the parishes served in this area by the Benedictines, but it was joined by Ampleforth and Douai in establishing parishes at Whitehaven, Cleator and Workington, with many smaller missions hiving off from them, all to cope with the influx at this time of Catholics brought about by the Great Famine in Ireland and the new demand for labour in the pits and mines of West Cumberland.
A red brick Italianate basilica with nave and chancel under one roof, side aisles the full length of the building and an arcaded western narthex or porch sheltering a handsome Renaissance-style doorway. The roof coverings are red Roman tiles. Interior not inspected.
Entry amended by AHP 13.03.2021
Architect: N. M. Phillips
Original Date: 1960
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed