Tarporley Road, Great Sutton, Ellesmere Port CH66
A functional modern building of no particular architectural or historical note, incorporating some sculpture of interest.
The parish was formed in 1959 and a dual-purpose church and hall opened in 1960. Since 1960 a large additional hall has been opened and various alterations made to the church. The dedication to St Saviour is rare amongst modern Catholic churches.
The building consists of a concrete portal frame clad in brick with attached meeting room, kitchens, etc. The entrance was altered in recent years. On the south side of the building a pair of brick piers is mounted with a gilded or painted cross. There are lintels with gilded or painted lettering, and a sculpture of the Crown of Thorns. Inside the church is divided from meeting room and kitchen by a screen. The Sanctuary is flanked by large chapels and incorporates a cross outlined in brick, upon which is a bronze or bronzed Crucifixus. In the former entrance area there are panels of brightly coloured abstract glass, matching a small roundel in the east end. The later parish hall is attached at right-angles to the (liturgical) east end of the church.
Original Date: 1960
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed