Holtwhites Hill, Enfield EN2
A functional and economical combined church and hall, built to serve an area of modern housing.
St Joseph’s Home in Holtwhite’s Hill, a Catholic children’s home, was opened in 1890. When the new parish of Enfield (Holtwhite’s Hill) was erected in 1964, the chapel in the home was used as a parish church. The home was closed in the early 1980s, the buildings demolished in 1984 and the site redeveloped by Laing Homes plc with new housing. The diocese reached an agreement with Laings who took responsibility for building an entirely new church in 1986.
A modern functional structure, comprising a church/hall space with a small lower wing at right angles containing a kitchen and toilets. The walls are faced with buff-coloured bricks, the pitched roofs are covered with concrete tiles, and the windows are polyester-coated aluminium. The interior has a vinyl floor covering, plain plastered walls with modern clear-glazed rectangular windows and a shallow-pitched ceiling faced with acoustic tiles. The sanctuary is divided from the main space by brick piers.
Original Date: 1986
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed