Church Hill, Eythorne, Kent
A very modest church in a converted late Georgian agricultural building, on the edge of the churchyard of the medieval parish church.
The church is in a small converted agricultural building which probably dates from the early nineteenth century. It stands on the southern edge of the churchyard of the medieval Anglican church of St Peter and St Paul, and was converted to serve as a church in the mid-twentieth century. It is a chapel-of-ease to Aylesham.
The church is a single range, set against the sloping edge of the churchyard. The walls are mostly faced with red brick laid in Flemish bond; the west end wall is part faced with flint. The pitched roof is now covered with artificial slate. The long south wall has a small projecting porch, two small segment-headed casement windows, a modern window and door at the west end and several blocked openings, including a cart opening. The east wall is blind. The west wall has two small windows and a door at high level. The rear (north) elevation is against the bank but has three small windows and a chimney.
The interior is a single space with a carpet-covered floor, walls partly plastered and partly of painted brick, and a boarded ceiling. The west end is partitioned off to provide a sacristy and a lavatory. The fittings are of the simplest.
Architect: Not known, probably builder’s work
Original Date: 1820
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed