White Hart Lane, Portchester, Hants
Post-War church built as a hall.
Mass was said in Portchester from 1935 but a permanent building was not provided until 1954 when the present church was built as hall, with the intention that a permanent church would be built later. This never happened. Originally called Our Lady’s Chapel, the name was later changed.
As the church was built as a hall it does not have the appearance of a church. Flat roofed and basically a rectangle with a lower range to the north and a wing projecting to the northwest. Attractive multi-stock red brick and thin concrete lintels to the windows. These to the north are of domestic (horizontal) proportions and have been replaced (perhaps in the 1970s) with small pane timber casements. Double-height windows on the south side where there is no projection. Blind east wall. Blind also the northwest projection, other than a cross formed in glass bricks which, apart from the sign saying Catholic Church, announces that this is a church. The entrance is on the north side into a lobby before the main church which occupies the main full height range. The single storey range provides a gathering space, with a kitchen beyond, with double doors that can be opened into the church. The church is one rectangular space and volume, light and airy. Exposed open steel trusses support the roof. Raised area at the west end clearly designed as a stage for the original use as a hall. Arched openings to either side leading to ancillary accommodation. Chairs rather than pews and attractive modern sanctuary furnishings. The altar and tabernacle pedestal were designed by Father Steven Restori in 1997 and made by John Hamilton. Altar triptych, 1997 painted by Sister Evelyn of Park Place Pastoral Centre.
Original Date: 1954
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed