Stanifield Lane, Farington
A mid-twentieth century building adapted from a garage.
The building seems to have been formed from the garage of a house called Farington Cottage formerly on the site. The Directory gives the date as 1948 and the architect as F. Howarth. The church is dedicated to St Catherine Labouré, the nineteenth century French Marian visionary, who was canonised by Pope Pius XII’s in 1947. At some point, probably soon afterwards, a larger extension was added at right angles to the original church.
A brick and concrete building with plain flat-headed windows alternating with short buttresses. A pebbledashed entrance block, possibly the original garage, has a hardwood porch probably of late twentieth century date. The entrance block is used as a social space, and the church interior is of concrete construction. The reredos appears to be of late nineteenth or early twentieth century date, presumably brought from elsewhere. Brightly coloured stained glass is of late twentieth century date.
Architect: F. Howarth
Original Date: 1848
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed