Station Lane, Featherstone, Pontefract, West Yorkshire
A small, simple brick church of the 1930s.
The church was built in 1938, but the west narthex was clearly added later, probably about 1960 as the bricks are the same as those on the presbytery built at this time, when the parish was created. A large parish centre was built across the whole width of the back of the site by Messrs Spooner in 1969.
The church is at right angles to Station Road and reverse oriented. Liturgical compass points are used throughout this report.
A red brick and tiled rectangular building, with red concrete used for window sills, lintels and other decorative features such as the raised crosses on the side walls and the short pilasters in the ‘arcade’ over the original west door. There are transept-like chapels on either side of the nave before the square sanctuary, both with three tall metal casement windows. Otherwise, windows are timber framed with two sets of three set high in the nave walls and a pair either side of the sanctuary. Although there is no east window, there is another raised concrete cross in the east gable. A similar cross in the west gable is glazed in metal casements. A single storey sacristy abuts the east wall and a separate boiler house and chimney abuts the north sanctuary wall. The flat-roofed narthex with its domestic windows obscures the west door and cuts across the flat three-part ‘arcade’ above it. There is a single low-level timber frame window either side of the narthex. The interior has not been inspected.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1938
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed