Poulton Road, Fleetwood, FY7 7JY
A brick church with some Byzantine touches, not unusual in mid-twentieth century Roman Catholic church design, but executed with care and with some good detailing.
A church was opened by Thomas Wulstan Pearson, first Bishop of Lancaster, in February 1926, and so the church took its dedication from the Bishop’s adopted saint’s name. This church remains as the church hall; the present church was built in 1960-1 from designs by Wilfred Mangan of Preston.
The church has a very tall striking north-west tower with paired bell openings and a pyramidal copper roof. The sides have sculpturally treated stepped buttresses, and the west windows are stepped lancets with flat heads, striking a historicist note with a contemporary flavour. The large rounded apse is windowless at the east. Interior not inspected.
Entry amended by AHP 18.12.2020
Architect: W. C. Mangan
Original Date: 1961
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed