Yeathouse Road, Frizington
A simple-mission style church built by the Benedictines in the 1890s.
Frizington is part of the Benedictine mission in West Cumberland. Frs. Brierley and Burchall OSB of Cowpen built a school chapel at Frizington in 1875 to meet the needs of Irish immigrants and their families. This was replaced by the present church in 1896. Downside was the mother church for the missions served in this area by the Benedictines, but it was joined by Ampleforth and Douai in establishing missions at Whitehaven, Cleator and Workington, with many smaller missions hiving off from them, all to cope with the influx brought about by the Great Famine and the new demand for labour in the pits and mines of West Cumberland.
The church is single-cell, under a pitched roof with a small porch/narthex at the front, and a presbytery house attached at the rear. The exterior is faced with pebbledash, with stone dressings painted red, the roof covering is Welsh slate. The sides are divided by thin stepped buttresses, in each of which is a single lancet window with stained glass. Interior not inspected.
Entry amended by AHP 18.12.2020
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1896
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed