Cross Street, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire DN21
A polychrome Gothic Revival church of the 1860s showing the influence of G.E. Street, this is the earliest of several churches in North Lincolnshire paid for by Thomas Young of Kingerby Hall and designed by Hadfield & Son. The church contains no historic furnishings of note and the contemporary presbytery has had its windows replaced in uPVC, but the buildings are nevertheless a significant historic group in a narrow street away from the town centre.
Gainsborough grew in the early nineteenth century to be the third largest town in Lincolnshire. An attempt to establish a mission in 1821 foundered after a few years, but was revived in 1848. A priest was appointed in 1861, who also served Retford, Brigg and Crowle. The church and presbytery were built in 1868, the first of several churches in North Lincolnshire largely paid for by Thomas Young of Kingerby Hall, near Market Rasen, and designed by Hadfield & Son of Sheffield. The organ dates from 1919, at which time the church was ‘magnificently redecorated in thirteenth century style in keeping with the building’ (Diocesan Yearbook 1921, 59-60).
The building is briefly described in the list entry, below. However, there is little to add; the church contains no historic furnishings of particular note. The modern parish hall is attached to the church on the south (rear) side. Since the time of the listing, the sash windows in the presbytery have been replaced in uPVC.
1865-8. Architect, M E Hadfield and Son. Small church in red brick with blue brick band. Welsh slate roof with ridge tile and stone coped gable ends. 4 small arched windows with stone band at cills and blue brick band at impost height. Gabled porch with ashlar dressings to west elevation. Nave and 1 aisle. Small wood gallery. 2 octagonal piers. See also Clergy House. Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas of Canterbury and Clergy House form a group. Listing NGR: SK8177490001
1865-8. Similar date and style to Church (qv). 2 storeys in red brick with Welsh slate roof with ridge tile. Blue brick bands. Brick dentil eaves cornice. 2:1:2 windows, stone lintels, blue brick impost and cill binds. 2:2 windows and 1 single window to ground floor. Hung sashes with glazing bars. Round-arched doorway with alternate voussoirs in stone and brick. Modern door beneath semi-circular fanlight. Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas of Canterbury and Clergy House form a group. Listing NGR: SK8175990008
Architect: M. E. Hadfield & Son
Original Date: 1865
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Grade II