Headley Road, Grayshott, Hants
Small and relatively unaltered Perpendicular Gothic design by F.A. Walters, a prolific Catholic architect of the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century.
The first chapel in Grayshott was in The Court, the home of Mr and Mrs Vertue, and was blessed in June 1895. The Church of St Joseph was built and consecrated in July 1911. The architect was F. A. Walters (1849-1931) a prolific church architect with many listed, principally Roman Catholic, churches and seminaries to his credit. His largest and best known work was the rebuilding of Buckfast Abbey, Devon.
The church is stone built with a steeply sloping tiled roof surmounted by a stone bell turret over the chancel arch. Perpendicular in design, it has a reordered chancel with north and south chapels, a four bay nave and a north aisle, and north and south transepts. The entrance is through a stone porch on the north wall. The nave and chancel lancet windows have clear glass and trefoil traceried east window has stained glass.
There is an elaborate stone carved reredos, below a tripartite, traceried window with stained glass. The Chapel of St Joseph, to the north of the High Altar, also has an elaborate reredos. The lectern and font are both of high quality, carved alabaster. It is likely that Frederick Walters was responsible for these designs, and further research is recommended.
There are wooden barrel roofs over the chancel and side chapels. The wooden pews appear to be original.
In the graveyard there is a memorial to the Canadian troops stationed at the nearby army camp who died from an epidemic during the First World War.
Architect: Frederick A Walters
Original Date: 1911
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: II