Brierley Road, Grimethorpe, Barnsley, S72
A utilitarian dual-purpose building of the 1970s, incorporating a stone font from the predecessor church.
Grimethorpe developed as a residential area from the late nineteenth-century, serving Grimethorpe and Ferrymoor Collieries. In 1913 St Patrick’s church was built in High Street as a chapel-of-ease to Hemsworth (later Cudworth). A parish was erected in 1952. The present church was built in 1972 to serve the 1960s Michael’s estate.
Built in 1972 as a dual-purpose church and hall. The building is of steel portal frame construction, the external walls faced with pebbledash concrete panels and the pitched roof covered in concrete tiles. The gable end has three windows with tongue and groove timber boarding above, with a timber cross. There is a later flat-roofed extension on the south side containing ancillary facilities and a small entrance area and the north side has three large windows. The sanctuary end has a shallow flat-roofed sacristy projection with single light windows to the north and south sides.
The interior is plain, with painted walls and a canted tiled ceiling, parquet flooring to the nave and carpet in the sanctuary. The sanctuary is capable of being screened from the nave. Furnishings include a pine forward altar and tabernacle on a shelf on the east wall. Chairs provide flexible seating. By the entrance within the extension is a plain octagonal stone font with cover, brought here from St Patrick’s church.
Architect: None known
Original Date: 1972
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed