Gunnersbury Avenue, London W3
A plain, brick structure, built in 1931 as part of a larger school development. The site backs onto Gunnersbury Park, and is in a conservation area.
St Cuthbert’s was built in 1931 and formed part of a large Catholic secondary school, which was opened in 1932 (now occupied by the London International School). The design clearly indicates the hand of T.H. Birchall Scott. It incorporates a bas-relief of St Cuthbert on the entrance front; Scott used similar figures at Feltham (qv) and Osterley (qv), possibly using Philip Lindsey Clark. Also, at Osterley (1933) the original church (now hall only) has a close family resemblance to St Dunstan’s, sharing similar windows, ventilators and ceiling/roof construction.
The church is oriented to the west so directions given are liturgical (unless otherwise stated).
Built of brown brick under a clay-tiled roof, this is a modest building with a five-bay nave in the centre, a narthex at the west end (with confessional and toilet), and a recess for a sanctuary flanked by sacristies. On the roof ridge are two ventilators. The utilitarian, open porch was added in 1983. Above this is a large lunette window. The remaining windows are plain rectangular wooden ones of secular character. At the corners of the west front, angle piers hold inset carved stone bas-relief panels, depicting St Cuthbert and St Dunstan (possibly P. Lindsey Clark).
Like the exterior, the inside of the church is simple and functional. It is broad, has brown, bare brick walls and has a three-sided ceiling for which the roof trusses are strengthened by iron rods. The floor is laid with herringbone timber blocks.
The only internal fitting of note is the crucifix at the east end: this is well carved and said to be the work of a parishioner. The seats are open-backed benches.
Architect: T. H. B. Scott
Original Date: 1931
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed