Canterbury Road, Habberley, Kidderminster DY11
A large, buff-brick church built to serve a post-war housing estate on the western outskirts of Kidderminster. Although opened in 1970 it employs a traditional longitudinal plan, and is more redolent of the church architecture of the 1950s than the post-Vatican II years. The building has a landmark presence in an area otherwise lacking in architectural highlights.
A mission was established in Habberley in 1956, to serve the council estate then developing. Approval was given to build the present church in 1966. Designed by Sandy & Norris of Stafford (Pevsner/Brooks), it was designed to seat 400 and was opened by Archbishop Dwyer on 17 October 1970. Later a chapel of ease to Kidderminster, the church was closed in June 2014.
This buff brick church is large and, despite dating from 1970, has a traditional longitudinal plan and outwardly does not display any of the typical characteristics of a post-Vatican II church. It consists principally of a nave and (seemingly) continuous sanctuary, narrow flat-roofed aisles, and a northwest campanile. The main roof has cement tiles. Stylistically it is very plain being a stripped down version of the type of basilican design that was so popular in the mid-twentieth century. The dominant fenestration consists of the tall, paired, square-headed clerestory windows. The interior has not been inspected.
*Update: Church closed and demolished*
Architect: Sandy & Norris
Original Date: 1970
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed