Maidstone Road, Hadlow, Kent
A modest Victorian former Nonconformist chapel latterly acquired for Catholic use.
St Peter’s Church was built in about 1870 as a Baptist chapel. It was used for some time as a hall for the Anglican parish church before being acquired for Catholic worship in 1971. It serves as a chapel-of-ease to Corpus Christi, Tonbridge (qv).
The church is a polychromatic red brick building with yellow brick bands. It comprises a gabled nave and sanctuary under one roof, with a west porch and a lower east arm built at right angles with a further gabled extension east again. The windows are arranged mostly in pairs and have shallow triangular heads with alternate yellow and red brick voussoirs. Oculi in the west and south gables. The gabled west porch has buttresses with one set-off and a doorway with roll moulding and shallow triangular arch. Paired windows set at high level.
The interior is plain, with matchboard panelled dado and the lower part of the roof trusses exposed. There are few furnishings or fittings of interest. The sanctuary carvings to the altar and ambo are by Stephen Nemethy (1950-2004), who pursued a career as a caricaturist before dedicating himself to religious art. The stained glass in the four west windows is of circa 1998 and by a parishioner, Ingrid Pichler (www.pichlerart.com). They depict, 1, Boat and fish; Peter’s life as a fisherman before being called by Jesus. 2, A cock crowing and three crosses in the background; Peter denying Jesus. 3, A cross; Peter’s own crucifixion – note the reflection of an upside down cross. 4, Papal keys and church; the first pope.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1870
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed