Siviter Street, Halesowen, Birmingham B63
A dual-purpose church and hall of the mid-1960s, cleverly planned to take advantage of its sloping site.
The mission began in 1927 in a converted barn served from Our Lady of Lourdes, Old Hill. This was replaced by a dual-purpose church-cum-hall on the site of the present church. An independent parish was erected in 1962 and the present church, designed by Rush, Granelli & Partners was built in 1967 (blessed 17 July). It was planned to seat 250 people (plus 32 in the day chapel) and cost £28,000. A baptistery and day chapel with an apsidal end were located on the right of the narthex, with the nave and sacristy to the left.
The approach is through an enclosed courtyard. The exterior walls are of golden brown brick with a grey-green slate roof. A baptistery and day chapel with an apsidal end were located on the right of the narthex with the nave and sacristy to the left; the baptistery/chapel has now been adapted for a kitchen but the space is still used for weekday services. Much use was made of the changes in level of the site and these reflect in the relationship of the various units of the plan. The main worship space is square and has extensive tall, rectangular windows.
The interior has a brown ceramic tile floor, cedar boarded ceiling and textured render on the walls. The sanctuary projects into a small recess. There are no fittings and furnishings which require particular mention.
Architect: Rush, Granelli & Partners
Original Date: 1967
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed