Holly Place, London NW3
This small church dating originally from 1816 is one of the earliest Catholic churches in London and contains the tomb of its founder, the AbbéMorel, who died in 1852. The nave is plainly decorated but the sanctuary and its side chapels have lavish marble and mosaic ornament. The church is picturesquely located within a terrace of early nineteenth-century houses of the same date, and makes a prominent and positive contribution to the Hampstead Conservation Area.
The Hampstead mission dates from 1796, when Abbé Morel, a French émigré priest, started holding services in a house in Church Row. The present church was first opened in August 1816. According to the VCH, the design of the nave was copied from Morel’s former church at Verneuil, Normandy. The west front with its bellcote looks like Italianate work of c1830, and that is the date given in the list entry and the VCH, but it actually appears to be an uncharacteristic contextual addition of 1850 by the Gothic Revival architect William Wardell, added in part to strengthen the old front (see Evinson). Wardell also designed Abbé Morel’s tomb, a recumbent effigy of c1852, which was originally located centrally in the nave by the church entrance, was later relocated at least twice and is now in the Lady Chapel.
In 1878 the whole of the interior of the church was altered and beautified by Fr Arthur Purcell, and two side altars were erected. Shortly after the arrival of Fr Walshe in 1907 the fabric was repaired and a sanctuary and two side chapels added in Byzantine style, to the designs of the architect G. F. Collinson. The decoration was done under the supervision of G. L. Simpson & Son of St Martin’s Lane but was apparently still not complete in 1926 (see Rottman). A high altar and baldacchino by Adrian Gilbert Scott were installed in 1935, and moved forward when the church was re-ordered by Williams & Winkley, in 1974 (information from Canon Brockie, former parish priest, via Fr Peter Harris) or 1976 (Pevsner). The king-post roof was completely renewed in 1991 as part of a refurbishment by the Solway Brown Partnership (according to Canon Brockie, the timber roof was originally exposed and had been later concealed by a plaster ceiling).
The list description follows the VCH in dating the refronting to c1830, whereas Evinson’s date of 1850 is more persuasive, being based on Wardell’s own account. It also refers to unspecified alterations by George Gilbert Scott Junior and Thomas Garner; no information is available about such alterations, although it is likely that as a local resident who no doubt worshipped here, Scott would have advised on the decoration and other matters. The list entry makes no mention of Adrian Gilbert Scott’s work, however.
The altarpiece is a painting of the Assumption, in the style of Murillo, and was acquired in 1826.
The 1878 side chapels were dedicated to Our Lady (north) and St Joseph (south, note the letters ‘J’ in the tile / mosaic work). The St Joseph chapel was converted into a Blessed Sacrament chapel in the 1974 restoration.
Roman Catholic church being the centre-piece of an informal terrace formed by Nos 1-4 Holly Place (qv) and Nos 5-8 Holly Place (qv). c1816 for the Abbe Morel; refronted c1830, belfry and aedicule with sculptured Virgin and Child added c1850, restored 1990. Stucco.
EXTERIOR: narrow entrance front with projecting central entrance bay rising through the gable end to form a segmental pedimented bellcote surmounted by a cross. Round-arched architraved and pilastered entrance flanked by paired pilasters at angles supporting a Doric entablature. Above this, a pedimented aedicule containing a sculptured Virgin and Child; a roundel beneath the bellcote.
INTERIOR: 3-bay nave with arched windows, vaulted and mosaic transept chapels, and vaulted 3-bay sanctuary with marble and mosaic baldacchino, with inset oil paintings of holy scenes, by Adrian Gilbert Scott who also designed the altar. Western gallery.
HISTORICAL NOTE: GG Scott Jnr and Thomas Garner who lived in Church Row did work on the church but it is not clear what. One of the earliest Roman Catholic churches to be built in England after the Reformation. The congregation had grown in Hampstead around Abbe Morel, a refugee from the French Revolution. The more elaborate front followed the Catholic Emancipation Act in 1829.
Listing NGR: TQ2625685791
4 terraced houses forming the southern wing of a semi-formal terrace, the centrepiece formed by St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church (qv). c1816, date plaque on No.1. Stucco apart from the upper floor of No.4 which is multi-coloured stock brick; stucco 1st floor band. No.1 projects forming an end wing with curved left hand angle. 3 storeys except No.1 with 4. Nos 1-3, single window each; No.4, 2 windows. Round-arched entrances, No.1 in angle, with fanlights and part-glazed doors; No.4 with early C19 part-glazed porch. Recessed sashes; Nos 1-3, 1st floors round-arched; No.4, all with gauged brick flat arches. All 1st floor windows with cast-iron guards. Parapets.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with pineapple finials, some on low stuccoed walls.
Listing NGR: TQ2623685772
Architect: Original architect not known; William Wardell; G. F. Collinson
Original Date: 1816
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Grade II*