Northolt Road, Northolt, Middlesex HA2
A modern (2002) rectangular church with a pyramidal roof, forming part of a parish complex.
The mission was established in 1933, when a temporary church was built. This remained in use until replaced by the present combined church and parish centre in 2002, built from designs by George Mathers. According to Chris Fanning (pers. comm.), it took thirteen years for all the approvals to be obtained, and by the time the church was opened its architect was over eighty years old. The sanctuary was reordered c2010, when the font was moved to the former Blessed Sacrament Chapel, and a new cornice frieze added.
The church is part of a complex which also includes hall and parish offices. The complex is a modern building in a vaguely Georgian idiom, with external walls of brown brick in stretcher bond, and slate roof coverings. The rectangular church space is distinguished by a pyramidal roof with a metal spirelet. The plain brick elevation of church to the road is simply-detailed, with five small rectangular windows set high in shallow recessed bays with a plain unmoulded stone cornice overall.
Internally, the church space is square, with plain plastered walls, small clear-glazed windows set high in two walls and a timber roof with central skylight. The sanctuary is a stone platform across most of the width of one wall with a carved and painted crucifix as a reredos.
Architect: George Mathers
Original Date: 2002
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed