Piele Road, Haydock, St Helens WA11
A functional design of 2001, replacing a church of 1905.
A mission at Haydock was established in 1879 and a school-chapel built. A purpose-built church followed in 1905-6, described as ‘inexpensive but substantial’ in The Tablet, 15 December 1906. This was replaced by the present church in 2001 (architects Derek Hicks & Thew Partnership). A simple brick design with a rectangular nave and short projecting sanctuary, both faced in orange brick with pitched roofs covered in concrete tiles. The nave is lit by a strip of clerestorey windows under the eaves. Interior not inspected.
Entry amended by AHP 9.1.2021
Architect: Derek Hicks & Thew Partnership
Original Date: 2001
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed