Queens Road, Hersham, Walton-on-Thames, KT12 5LU
A post-war church of no particular architectural distinction, but with a light and pleasant interior.
The first mass was celebrated in the church in June, 1960, and the church officially opened by the Bishop of Southwark some five months later. The architects were Tomei & Maxwell. Lawrence Tomei (1910-1989) went into practice with John Maxwell after the Second World War. The success of the firm was largely based on its service to the Catholic Church. It designed a large number of schools and churches in the south east of England, many of which were commissioned by the Archdiocese of Southwark.
All Saints’ is a large cruciform church of low budget, modern construction, built of brick and incorporating pre-fabricated panels. It has a low-pitched roof, and continuous bands of clerestory windows in the side walls of the nave and transepts. Inside the church, concrete ribs run up to support the exposed roof trusses. When the church was first built a large painting of the Crucifixion, the work of John Berry of Surbiton, hung on the east wall of the chancel. This is now in the south transept.
Amended by AHP 11.02.2021
Architect: Tomei & Maxwell
Original Date: 1960
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed