Sandy Lane, Hightown, Liverpool 38
An attractive building in Edwardian Arts and Crafts style, its architectural character barely distinguishable from the houses that make up the early twentieth century development of Hightown. The interior is simple and of lesser interest.
Hightown is a residential estate built by the Blundells of Little Crosby. The Liverpool to Southport railway passes close by, and it was developed as a commuter town. Development dates mainly from about 1905 onwards, and the church was built in 1916 as a chapel-of-ease to Our Lady of Compassion, Formby (qv). It became a separate parish in 1924, at which time the presbytery was built, opposite the church on the other side of Sandy Lane.
A small church in Edwardian domestic Arts and Crafts style. The architect has not been established, but the building bears similarities to other properties in Hightown built under the direction of its first surveyors, T. Mellord Reade and (from 1909) his son William. Roughcast walls, tile roofs with overhanging eaves. The fenestration is domestic in character, with mullions, transoms and diamond leaded lights. Two-storey projecting south porch (now blocked) with lunette window in the gable. Flat-roofed narthex addition (1957), replacing a wooden porch built in 1934.
Originally entered through the south porch, the church is now entered via the western narthex, a flat-roofed structure which detracts from the appearance of the building. An octagonal font is located in this area. The main body of the church consists of a single aisleless space with a round brick chancel arch marking off the original sanctuary area. Pilasters mark the four bays of the nave, with a king-post roof springing from stone corbels, ceiled below the upper collar. There are two stained glass windows of 1931 on either side of the sanctuary; otherwise plain or coloured glass. There is a simple marble high altar, probably dating from the 1950s, and a more recent timber forward altar. Plain bench seating. Sacristies and parish hall are linked to the north.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1916
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed