Foxes Lowe Road, Holbeach, Lincolnshire
A typical 1960s small portal framed brick church. Thoroughly functional but architecturally not distinguished.
In the early 1950s local Catholics had to travel to Spalding, Wisbech or Kings Lynn for Mass etc. Although, the nearest of the three, Spalding, is only eight miles from Holbeach, this was not an easy journey in the days when car ownership was relatively low. From 1955 Mass was said first in the Lower Games Room at the Chequers Hotel and subsequently inn the Anglican church hall in Church Street. In 1965 Fr Mulligan, from Spalding, purchased an orchard at the junction of Foxes Lowe and Fleet Roads from a Miss Doris Mawby, who was also a benefactor to the church. The church was completed and officially opened in October the following year. In 1974 the presbytery was built. Since 1994 two Sisters have lived in the Parish House and serve the growing local Catholic community.
A simple brick structure, typical of small 1960s Catholic churches. Gabled, rectangular on plan, with flat roofed sacristy on the south side, the church hall at right angles on the north side and kitchens etc in a lower gabled east projection. All the buildings are built of a yellow brick under a pantile roof. Church and hall have mostly round-headed windows. The main front has a large window forming a slot in the gabled elevation above a lightweight open porch extending from the centre to the right of the façade, i.e. an asymmetrical element in the otherwise symmetrical elevation. The interior is plastered, with boxed-in portal frame. The two easternmost bays on the north side have folding screens so that the church can be thrown open to the hall when more space is required. There is a west gallery, closed in beneath to form a lobby or narthex, surmounted by an organ. Furnishings are plain and undistinguished though entirely fitting for the building. Six stained glass windows made in 1877, originally at St Norbert’s Spalding, installed at Holbeach in 2005.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1965
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed