South Terrace, Horden, Peterlee, Co. Durham SR8
A 1970s lightweight prefabricated octagonal structure with timber glulam roof trusses, built to replace a 1920s church on the same site.
The parish was erected in 1921. The present church was built in 1979 and replaced an earlier timber framed building, of church hall character, on the same site. This was demolished in 1978 because of structural defects. The new church is octagonal in form, of the type that the firm Lanner of Wakefield specialised in; it was designed to seat 400. The building was supervised by William C. Harvey, the diocesan quantity surveyor, and the completed church was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Swindlehurst on 12 June 1980. Its foundation stone was cut in Ireland and had been blessed in Knock by Pope John Paul II in September 1979.
The church is an octagonal building with external facings of red brick laid in stretcher bond. The octagonal tented roof has concrete tiles and an octagonal glazed lantern. The openings in the side walls are rectangular wooden windows of domestic type, set generally in pairs.
Inside, the church is a single space with the sanctuary on the wall facing the entrance. The floor is boarded; the walls are faced with yellow brick, except behind the sanctuary where the facing is panelled timber. The timber glulam trusses of the roof are exposed and the underside of the roof is boarded. Fittings salvaged from the old church included the pipe organ. New fittings included a marble altar, chair and lectern, imported from Italy.
Architect: Lanner of Wakefield
Original Date: 1979
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed