Napier Road, Horndean, Hants
A small post-war church, built as a parish hall in a pleasing round-arched style, with a later addition at the west end.
During the Second World War, Mass was said at Blendworth House and Crookley Park, Waterlooville. In the 1950s, Fr Minogue of Sacred Heart, Waterlooville, built a church hall at Horndean which also served as a supplementary Mass centre. To buy the land and erect the building cost approximately £12,000; the builder was named Roche.
A separate parish of Horndean was erected in 1968, and entrusted to the Salvatorian Fathers. The then parish priest, Fr Cyril Field, added the hall extension at the front in 1974. According to the Diocesan Information Office booklet (1986), the building was fully converted from a church hall into a church the same year.
The original building consisted of a nave/hall, sanctuary and sacristies. It is clad in red brick, under a pitched slate roof, and has round-arched windows with small-paned metal casements. The sanctuary and sacristies are lower and flat-roofed. The 1974 parish hall at the west end has a shallower roof and extends across the main frontage. It is built of the same reddish-brown brick, with narrow windows set in recesses to either side of a wide entrance.
The church interior is a plain single volume, with three triangular panes of coloured glass in each clear glass window. The walls are painted white, with Stations of the Cross between the windows. There is a suspended ceiling and the floor is carpeted. The seating is made up of plain, mid-twentieth century benches. A wide arch marks the entrance to the sanctuary. At the west end a partition divides the church from the parish hall.
Entry amended by AHP 24.12.2020
Architect: Roche (builder)
Original Date: 1958
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed