Sheepridge Road, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
The building has some historic interest for its origin as a cinema serving a new inter-war housing estate and for the later conversion to church use, but is of little architectural interest.
Then parish was established 1938 and a temporary church was built in Central Avenue in 1939.
The Rialto Cinema was possibly the last suburban cinema to open in Huddersfield. It served the newly built Brackenhall estate and opened in about 1940. Designed by local architect J.H. Freer, it was built in a very modern style for the day, and featured a graduated single story auditorium which followed the line of the hillside on which it is built. Like many of Huddersfield’s ‘local’ cinemas its heyday was in the 1940’s and 50’s, as a local alternative to ‘catching the bus to town’. The Rialto closed its doors in the early 1960s and was converted to a church for the parish of Our Lady of Lourdes by the architect John Rochford.
Architect: J.H. Freer, adapted to a church by John Rochford
Original Date: 1940
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed