Somerset Road, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Church and school building in domestic 17th century style, originally built for Anglican use. The church interior shows the influence of the English Arts and Crafts movement, not least in the elaborate roof construction.
Canon Stephen Dolan opened a school chapel in Commercial Street Huddersfield in 1894. The parish of St Joseph was created in 1913. The original church was in King’s Mill Lane. In 1953 the Diocese of Leeds purchased the former St Michael’s Anglican church in Somerset Road, which was re-consecrated in 1954. The Somerset Road site had been given to the Anglicans by Sir J. W. Ramsden for the building of a mission church. In June 1913 the foundation stone was laid of a new combined church and school building to replace the corrugated iron mission church. The architect was Mr Oswald White of John William Street, Huddersfield. This building was sold in 1953 to raise funds for the building of a new Anglican church to serve a new housing estate at Fernside East.
Architect: Oswald White
Original Date: 1915
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed