New North Road, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
St Patrick’s was the first purpose-built church of the 19th century Roman Catholic Revival in Huddersfield. The builder Joseph Kaye adopted the thin Gothic style of the Anglican Commissioner’s Churches for the exterior and the interior, with its plaster vaulting.
Land for the new church was leased from the Ramsden family in 1831. The new church was opened on 26 September 1832, from designs by the builder Joseph Kaye of Huddersfield (1783-1858), not to be confused with Joseph Kay of London (1775-1847). The interior was redecorated in 1874, and a new stained glass window in the sanctuary was unveiled at this time. The building was re-seated and new organ installed in 1889. A new porch was added in 1962 (John Black architect) and the east end of the church was re-ordered with a new altar and reredos; in later alterations the side altars were removed and an altar, lectern and font installed. The exterior was cleaned in 1980-81.
Architect: Joseph Kaye of Huddersfield
Original Date: 1832
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: II