Staveley Road, Hull, East Yorkshire
The church and associated buildings are a post-war design, not unappealing in their simple clean lines.
St Bede’s parish was created from that of the Sacred Heart and was the ninth church to be built in the Hull area. The parish subsequently spawned three new ones, those of St Theresa, St Stephen and St Francis.
St Bede’s shares a common language and materials with the attached hall and presbytery. The materials are red brick and clay pantiles, with projecting concrete frames around the windows and doors. The church comprises nave and sanctuary enclosed within a single pitched roof structure. Canted apse. Flat roofed aisles with taller transverse gabled bays at each end. As a result the west front has the main gabled centre section with pitched roof projections to either side. Giant round arch with stepped surround enclosing both the entrance with flat roofed porch and a tripartite arrangement of windows. All windows are of simple rectangular form in vertical format. The church hall, which is set in a kind of butterfly plan arranged to the southeast echoes certain features of the church and is linked to it by a wall.
The interior of the church reads essentially as a single space, well lit from a clerestory with tripartite windows. The aisles are no more than passages divided from the nave by an open ‘arcade’ of post and beam. The roof is canted and clad with some form of acoustic panels. The polygonal sanctuary apse opens from the nave without any form of arch. The church is carpeted and furnished with contemporary open-backed pews and marble sanctuary fittings.
Architect: P. Harbron
Original Date: 1952
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed