2 Lodge Lane, Keymer, Hassocks, West Sussex BN6 8NA
The church building is of no architectural distinction, although it provides a pleasant and light interior. It was built to a modest budget, but has some good quality fittings.
The land on which St Edward the Confessor’s church stands was given by the Munster family in 1922. From then until 1973 an army hut on the site was used as the church. During the 1960s various furnishings by the Guild of St Joseph & St Dominic were acquired. These include a silver communion bowl by Dunstan Pruden, silver crowns, the processional cross and a Calvary by Winifride Pruden, lime wood statues by Joseph Cribb. These were all moved into the new church, built at a cost of £35,000 and seating about 260, which opened on 6 April 1972. The architects were Bingham Towner Associates (Catholic Building Review, 1972 and 1973).
The presbytery was built in 1985 and extended in 1990.
An economically-built polygonal church with the sanctuary placed on the diagonal axis. In addition to those mentioned above, more recent fittings include the bronze statue of the Risen Christ, 1992 by John Glazier, placed on the front of the presbytery. Associated with a reordering of 1997 are the stone altar and stand for the tabernacle by David John. In 1999 David John also designed the font and ambo. Of c1999 is a stained glass window by Cox & Barnard of Hove.
Amended by AHP 12.02.2021
Architect: Bingham Towner Associates
Original Date: 1973
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed