Priory Street, Kidwelly, SA17 4TR
A functional building of the 1970s standing on a large plot.
When Fr Owen Basil Rowlands began his ministry in at Burry Port in 1927 he celebrated Mass once a fortnight at Tumble, ten miles away along the Gwendraeth Valley. At first Mass was celebrated in the hall at the Old Tumble Hotel and the altar was in the club boxing ring. Later a small church was built at Tumble where Mass was said weekly by Fr Rowlands. During the Second World War the church at Tumble was moved to the present site in Kidwelly where it remained in use until in 1975, when it was replaced by the present church, opened that year by Bishop Langton Fox of Menevia. The architects were Andrews, Edwards & Associates of Llanelli (ex.inf. Alan Randall, Menevia Diocesan archivist). The church is served from Bury Port (qv).
The church is not orientated; the liturgical east end faces south. The building is a simple functional design without external ornament. It is rectangular on plan, with walls of light grey brick laid in stretcher bond and simple pitched roof covered with concrete tiles. The wide main front has a large central doorway with a triangular head. The side walls have two pairs of rectangular windows set in plain recesses. The liturgical east end wall is blind. The interior was not inspected but has a carpeted floor, rendered walls and exposed roof timbers. The sanctuary is a railed enclosure against the east wall which is of bare-faced brickwork with a blind semi-circular arch inset.
Architect: Andrews, Edwards & Associates
Original Date: 1975
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed