Fountains Road, Kirkdale, Liverpool 4
A large stone-built town church by an established regional practice, with good internal furnishings.
The church was opened by Bishop O’Reilly on 22 November 1885. The district had recently been divided into two mission territories, after an increase in the Catholic population from 2,700 in 1875 to 7,500 at the time of the opening of the church. A presbytery was built in 1892. In 1927 a large north chapel, mostly brick built, was added, now enclosed to form a weekday chapel.
Catholic Church. 1885. J. and B. Sinnott. Rock faced stone with ashlar bands and dressings, slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel, aisles under lean-to roofs, transepts and chapels; N chapel added c.1920. Nave has 5-light west window with Geometrical tracery over canted baptistry with canted projecting centre. 3-light aisle windows and 2-light clerestory windows, with flat buttresses between pairs of windows. South west porch has pointed entrance and stepped gable. Low south transept with 5-light window and taller north transept S organ loft. East end has 7-light east window, flanking chapels under lean-to roofs with rose windows. Interior 4-bay nave arcade on round columns, waggon roof and west gallery. 2-bay chancel arcade and clustered columns, wrought-iron reredos.
Architect: J. & B. Sinnott
Original Date: 1885
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Grade II