Station Road, Kiveton Park, Sheffield, S26
A plain chapel-of-ease of mid-twentieth century date, formerly a Salvation Army citadel, dedicated to a local Elizabethan Catholic martyr.
Kiveton Park expanded in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries with the growth of coalmining. By 1928 the area had an estimated population of 5,000. Further housing developments after the war prompted the establishment of a Mass centre in the Lord Conyers Arms at Wales in 1957. In 1966 a former Salvation Army citadel on Station Road was acquired as a chapel-of-ease, opening as the ‘New Hall’. In 1985, extensive restoration work took place and the church was blessed. It is understood that the original intention was to dedicate the chapel to Bl. William Richardson, who was born in Wales, became a Catholic priest and was martyred in 1603. In the event the chapel was dedicated to St Augustine of Canterbury, but more recently (in 2013) local sentiment prevailed and it was rededicated to Bl. William Richardson. The church remains a chapel-of-ease to Dinnington (qv).
A small chapel-of-ease, built in the mid-twentieth century as a Salvation Army citadel and acquired for Catholic use in 1966. Rectangular on plan, it is faced in brown rustic brick, with artificial stone dressings and a pitched roof covered in concrete tiles. The central double doorway has a lunette window over and is flanked by single-light windows. The sides are plain, with uPVC windows. The east end is partially obscured by a lean-to addition. The interior has not been inspected.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1950
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed