Tatton Street, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16
A polygonal design of the 1980s, raised above the ordinary by the imported stained glass, possibly by the Harry Clarke Studio.
The present building replaces predecessors of 1866 and 1926. It was built in 1981-3 from designs by the Ellis Williams Partnership. The furnishings were designed by Ormesby of Scarisbrick. An apse was added in c. 2002 and fitted with stained glass from the convent chapel of the Cross and Passion Sisters, Maryfield, Dublin (information from Fr Peter Phillips) and installed as the east window.
The building is of octagonal plan, with a bold pedimented entrance towards the street. A shallow apse incorporates an exaggerated eaves line projected forward like a fin. The building is clad in red brick. The framed structure of the roof is exposed inside in a ‘spider’s web’ pattern. There is simple bench seating and the altar is on a low platform. The apse is given character and emphasis by the glowing colours of the stained glass. This window consists of three lights with a Crucifixion scene. It is not signed but can be attributed to the Harry Clarke Studio, but it is of post-1931 date, so not by Clarke himself.
Architect: Ellis Williams Partnership
Original Date: 1983
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed