Priory Road, Hungerford, Berks
A prefabricated pre-war hall-church in an unusual setting amidst allotments.
The church was apparently shipped in pieces by train from Kent, arriving in Hungerford on the Great Western Railway in 1933. However, newspapers dating from 1939 have been found under the floor, and the date given in the diocesan directory is 1939. Little information appears to exist to document the history of this church, presumably because it was designed to serve as a temporary structure.
The church is rectangular on plan, externally clad in painted corrugated iron and under a slate roof. It is lit at the sides by four large rectangular windows with top-hung casements, small panes and clear glass. The top of the west gable of the building is lit by a larger, segmental-arched window. The east gable is surmounted by a small cross.
The interior consists of an unaisled nave with iron truss roof. The walls are painted panels which apparently cover asbestos cladding; between the windows are wooden Stations of the Cross. The seating is made up of individual schoolroom chairs. At the east end is a recessed and curtained sanctuary with a modern wooden altar.
At the west end of the church wooden double doors lead to a brick-built hall and priest’s accommodation, added in the late 1960s or early 1970s. This provides a sacristy, meeting space and WCs. Steps lead up to an entrance porch built in 1989.
Entry amended by AHP 26.12.2020
Original Date: 1939
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed