Building » Lancing – The Holy Family

Lancing – The Holy Family

North Road, Lancing, West Sussex BN15 9BB

Holy Trinity is a simple unexceptional design of 1970, attractive in its simplicity and clean lines. It is perhaps somewhat old fashioned for its date.

In 1954, Old Monk’s Farmhouse at Lancing was registered as a Catholic chapel. This had previously been the home of Sheila and Edward Colman, who cared for Lord Alfred Douglas, companion of Oscar Wilde and later a Catholic convert, in his latter years. He died here in 1945. The chapel was extended in 1959 and was superseded by the present church in 1970, whereupon the farmhouse (which is listed Grade II) became the presbytery.

The church was built to the designs of H. Bingham Towner, or more probably an associate or partner, as the design is quite untypical of Towner’s work. It has an internally exposed concrete portal frame and is externally clad in red brick. A tower stands almost detached at the southwest corner, with a mono-pitched roof echoing the main church roof.

Amended by AHP 24.02.2024

Heritage Details

Architect: Bingham Towner Associates

Original Date: 1970

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Not Listed