Darkinson Lane, Lea Town, Preston PR4 ORJ.
One of several chapel-type churches built in the villages around Preston in the wake of the Relief Act 1791. A simple brick box with a galleried interior, and later nineteenth century liturgical furnishings. Unusually, the pre-Vatican liturgical arrangements remain in place and unaltered. There is a contemporary attached presbytery, extended in the later nineteenth century.
The chapel and priest’s house were built in 1801-2 on a plot of land purchased from the Hoghton estate, the chapel costing £787.11s.2d half-penny.
A simple, brick built structure, with evidence (in a change of brickwork above the windows) that early in the building’s history the roof was raised. West entrance via a twentieth century attached brick porch through original double doors, panelled and grained with segmental fanlight over. The interior is a single volume with a coved plaster ceiling and a western gallery supported on slender cast iron columns. There is an organ in the gallery. Twentieth century pews. Late nineteenth century sanctuary arrangements with apse for high altar, paintings of the Assumption and the Annunciation in panels to either side above. Marble communion rail with pedestals at either end supporting statues of St Joseph and Our Lady.
Attached presbytery to east, contemporary but enlarged to the east later in the nineteenth century.
Entry amended by AHP 18.12.2020
Architect: Not known
Original Date: 1801
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed