Petersfield Avenue, Belle Isle, Leeds 10
A utilitarian hall structure of the 1950s, given some architectural dignity by Peter Langtry-Langton’s remodelling of 1984.
The site was acquired for £700 by Fr Twomey from St Joseph, Hunslet, in 1937, with a view to building a church, presbytery, hall and school to serve the interwar Belle Isle housing estate. War intervened, and it was not until the 1950s that a simple church dedicated to St Peter was built, from designs by Charles Fox of Dewsbury. This was intended to become the assembly hall for a future school, and was opened on 10 March 1953. In 1984 the church was remodelled and adapted, from designs by Peter Langtry- Langton. With the demolition of Langtry-Langton’s church of St Joseph in Hunslet, that parish was merged with St Peter’s and the latter church rededicated to St Joseph and St Peter.
The original hall is a steel-framed structure clad in brick, measuring 72ft x 30ft, with a corrugated asbestos mansard roof. A linked contemporary presbytery lies to the east. The 1984 remodelling included the addition of a new brick forebuilding with three round-arched openings on the west front with cement rendered surrounds, channelled rustication and keystones. Two tall brick pylons frame the central entrance.The interior has not been inspected. Langtry-Langton’s plans in the diocesan archives show a basilican plan with the round arches to the nave arcade supported on classical columns, and an Early Christian sanctuary arrangement.
Architect: C. E. Fox; alterations by Peter Langtry-Langton
Original Date: 1953
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed