Grove Road, Leeds 6
A modest 1960s church in a stripped modern Gothic style, prominent in the Headingley Conservation Area.
In 1902 a chapel-of -ease was built in Brookfield Road to serve Catholics in the Headingley and Leanwood areas. It was served by priests from the Cathedral and its dedication to St Urban (rare if not unique in an English context) reflects the fact that the Cathedral, then in the course of rebuilding, had recently taken delivery of some relics of the third-century pope and martyr. In 1951 St Urban’s became a parish in its own right. The present church was built from designs by E. E. Morgan and opened by Bishop Dwyer on 1 July 1963. At that point the Brookfield Road chapel became the parish hall.The church was reordered and redecorated in 1988, year of its consecration. At the time of writing (May 2008) the church is undergoing a further major renovation and enlargement.
Church built in severely stripped Modern Gothic style, plum coloured brick with steeply pitched, copper-clad roof. Nave, aisles, transepts/side chapels, sanctuary. North porch/additional facilities under construction at time of visit (May 2008). Gabled west front with triple entrance and stepped flat-topped triple windows over, the latter separated by flat pilasters of astylar character. Projecting double height bays on either side, also with stepped triple windows. Flank north elevation with plain brick walls and parapets to the aisle, triple windows to the clerestory, the bays marked by flat astylar pilasters. Shorter (three bays), lower sanctuary with canted east end.
The west doors lead into a newly-created narthex area, screened off from the church. Wide, light nave of five bays, plastered and painted pale pink, ceiled under the collar. Square piers and openings onto side aisles; gilded Stations of the Cross between these and the clerestory windows. Clear glass to all the windows, apart from one figurative stained glass window at the west end. Flat chancel arch with bevelled corners, echoing the form of the nave roof. The sanctuary is raised on four steps with a further step to the site of the former high altar, where against the east wall there is a reredos with attached crucifix, tabernacle on pedestal below. Cornice and ribbing on the ceiling of the canted east end. Altars to Our Lady and St Joseph (?) in the north and south transept chapels, with carved wooden figures set in plaster shell niches. New stone suite of altar, ambo and presidential chair in the sanctuary, simple, with incised gold lettering/symbols. Plain modern benches and highly polished floor to nave, boarded floor to sanctuary, presumably awaiting carpet.
Architect: E. E. Morgan
Original Date: 1963
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed