Spen Lane, Leeds 5
Built as a dual-purpose church and hall in the 1950s, serving a large parish.
In 1954 a new parish was formed, encompassing the Hawksworth Estate, Beckett Park, West Park and a new estate at Butcher Hill. At first Mass was celebrated at the Labour Hall, Hawksworth, while a house was acquired in Butcher Hill for the priest. In 1955 a second Mass centre was established at the Dutton Arms, Beckett Park. Then Spen Hill, a large house in two acres, was acquired, and a dual-purpose church and parish hall built by Spooners of Hull. The church cost £9,000 and accommodated 270 worshippers. It was formally opened by Archbishop Heenan on May 7 1957.
The church was refurbished and a Lady Chapel added in 1966. In 1978 a new parish centre at the back was opened by Bishop Wheeler. The parish is now served from Our Lady of Lourdes and the old presbytery in Spen Mews has been sold.
Modern dual purpose hall/church, now used exclusively as a church, with a later (1978) parish hall behind. Functional modern design, brick-built with shallow pitched corrugated asbestos roof. Chalet-style recessed entrance, plastered. The interior is a single space, with a modern suspended ceiling. There are no furnishings of particular interest.
Architect: Spooners of Hull (builders)
Original Date: 1957
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed