The Presbytery, Irelands Lane, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 1QX
A late and conventional Gothic Revival church by Edward Walters. According to the compiler of the F. A. Walters’ Biographical File at the RIBA Library, “after Edward joined his father as a partner [in the firm] the output became even more traditional and archaeological in outlook.” The church has some townscape merit and stands within the Lewes Conservation Area.
A compact building on a tight corner site. No tower, but nave and sanctuary with south transept, sacristy, aisle and porch building up on the south side to car park enclosed by boundary walls. The church is of red brick with stone and flint dressings. The flint is confined to buttresses and a chequer work frieze to the south aisle parapet. The style is a very restrained and simplified gothic with the show reserved for the west front built hard up to the High Street. Plain plastered interior, with a king post roof on corbels and a timber panelled barrel vault to the sanctuary. Stained glass in north and east windows. South window glass by Cox & Barnard 1989. The earlier church on the site was built in 1870 and the presbytery from this church remains.
Architect: E. J. Walters
Original Date: 1938
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed